Thursday, October 2, 2008

Isn't It Ironic?


Life is funny. If I've learned anything, it's that life is completely unpredictable, and there is no possible way to say "This is what my life will be like in 5, 10, or 15 years." One of my favorite quotes is "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans!" I've loved that ever since I was very young, but have grown to really appreciate that quote. If you had asked me 8 years ago if in 8 years, I thought I would be in a relationship with not only a woman, but a woman who is "a bit" older than me with teenage daughters, that I would have 4 cats and a dog, and that my Dad would no longer be alive, I wouldn't have believed you. But the truth is, it's these things that have made me who I am today, and are shaping my life at this very minute.

I took a very bold step at work last week. Bold for me, at least. During a meeting at work, I brought to the table an idea that I've had for a very, very long time- a grievance support group for clients who have recently lost their animals. People who don't have animals would probably smirk or laugh at my idea, not realizing what a connection people and animals can have. We used to have a client that brought her cat to our hospital every single night after work so we could administer fluids. She did this for several months, bless her heart, just to keep her cat from becoming dehydrated. (He had been previously diagnosed with kidney failure.) Other clients go as far as electing to try chemotherapy to treat cancer in their animals and some clients drive hours and spend thousands of dollars for diagnostics. For some people the only companion they have is their dog, cat, ferret, bird, horse, etc. This is not something to be taken lightly!

By the end of the year, I'm hoping to create an online forum for clients who have recently lost their pets, where they can sign on from the comfort of their homes and chat with other people who are grieving. I will be researching books, and am hoping to plan events for people to come together and meet other people that are going through the same thing. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks!!

No comments: