Thursday, March 5, 2009
The "B" Word
There are certain words that you never want to hear your doctor say. "Cancer" "Rectal exam" "Colonoscopy" "Oops" and ... "Biopsy" When my doctor uttered that word last week, my heart just about stopped. Lori discovered a lump in my neck about a 2 months ago, and I was optimistic that it was just an inflamed lymph node caused by a sinus infection, so I decided that I would wait a few weeks to see if it changed in size or consistency. It didn't. I went to the doctor last month and he prescribed some medication and told me that he wanted to see me in a month if it didn't go away. I went back last week and he decided that he wanted to have it biopsied, especially given my family's medical history. I made the mistake of going for my appointment during my lunch break, and had to return to work, full of fear and anxiety. I immediately scheduled my appointment, and of course, they couldn't get me in until March 11th. Sometimes I wish that human medicine was similar to veterinary medicine. When animals come in with suspicious lumps and bumps, we immediately perform fine needle aspirates, send the sample to the lab, and have the results in a matter of only a few days. Why in human medicine do they have to prolong tests and results? And it's funny, I was telling my friend that I give injections and draw blood all day long, but the thought of a needle in my neck absolutely terrifies me!! So ironic! Anyway, I'm trying to keep myself occupied with work, the gym, and friends and family, and I'm trying to stay optimistic. Whatever happens, happens. God is in control and it's out of my hands.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment