Sunday, March 22, 2009

24 Hour Relay

When someone close to your heart passes away, your body automatically goes into survival mode. Strength to plan and get through the services without crumbling, and especially the ability to get through the holidays and milestones that you shared with that person. I think the first year without someone is the most difficult, and I am happy to report that I only have 2 more extremely difficult days to get through... Dad's birthday and the anniversary of his passing, which are both coming up in April. This year, the 24 Hour Relay For Life is going to be held on April 4th- Dad's birthday!! I almost cried when I heard the dates on the radio for the first time. What a wonderful way for us to be able to honor Dad, not to mention, a darn good distraction from sinking into a dark hole on that day! Instead, we'll be surrounded by cancer survivors, friends and families of cancer survivors, and also other friends and families of those who have passed. Lori and I are going to participate in the relay on Dad's birthday, wearing the T-shirts that we wore at last year's relay, with Dad's picture on the back, and blasting Dean Martin on our i-pods, and then we'll return to the track on Sunday for the Memory Walk. Wish us luck!! :)

No comments: