
I volunteered to work today so my co-worker could spend Easter with her 3 kids. The day was exactly what I had expected- emergency after chocolate toxicity emergency. I predicted that we would begin to see several emergencies around noon, since people would be getting out of church and arriving home to see that their dear ol' dog had decided to swallow all 4 kids' Easter bunnies, plastic eggs and Peeps. Sadly, I was right. I have never seen so much chocolate/ham/foil drug-induced vomit in my entire life! We had another emergency toward the end of the day that was very sad. A woman came in with her little chihuahua, and frantically explained that the dog had gotten into anti-freeze that her husband had left in the garage. I ran the pup to the back and she was in obvious distress- very stiff, dilate pupils, and irregular heart beat. One of our doctors yelled, "Do we have any Vodka?" Naive me thought that he was trying to make light of the situation by suggesting that he wanted to mix a cocktail for himself after the stressful day he had. I kind of ignored the comment, but he yelled it again ... only this time, I realized that he wasn't kidding. "Somebody get the Vodka!" "Um, pardon?" I asked. He explained that Vodka counteracted the side-effects of antifreeze! WHO KNEW!? We searched the hospital high and low for the Vodka, but had no luck. I grabbed my car keys, jumped into my car and drove as fast as I could to BevMo. I'm sure I looked like the biggest alcoholic on Earth as I ran into the store, grabbed the liquor, ran to the check stand where I abruptly declined their club card, placed my ten dollar bill on the counter, thanked the clerk, and flew out the door. My adrenaline was pumping like a police officer on pursuit of a wanted person. I flew back to the hospital, ran to the treatment area and handed the bottle of Vodka off to the doctor like an Olympian passing the torch to the next runner. I guess we learn something new every day. What's next... medical marijuana!?

1 comment:
Seriously? That is pretty crazy- good job saving him! I find it interesting that the doctor would apparantly been okay with having vodka just hanging around work. Did you all have a congratulatory shot after?
Post a Comment