Sunday, November 2, 2008

"Pay It Forward"


Before you get too excited, no, this is NOT a real picture. Well, it IS a real picture, it's just unfortunately not MY picture. But I'm not complaining because I have an awesome story to share. As you all probably know, Lori and I love playing video Keno, but we've limited our casino visits to once monthly in attempts to save money. Well, today while we were getting ready to start our day, we looked at each other and gave each other 'the smile.' 'The smile' is a weird thing that happens between us when we're thinking about something and we realize that the other is thinking about the same thing. I know, it's weird, but we truly do read each others' minds. Anyway, we didn't even have to say anything at that point- we simply got into the car and drove to the casino. We were only going to play a small amount of money, and then we were going to go downtown Palm Springs to see what was going on this weekend. The drunk man to my left kept going on and on about the election and he complimened my hair cut about 18 times. Literally. I wanted to get up and leave so many times, but as soon as I tried to make an escape, he would kindly say, "I just love your hair!" Then I would slither back into my chair, blushing like a little girl and welcoming further conversation. The woman to my right, who was sitting between Lori and I was explaining to us that she had been there since 8:00 the night before because she just kept winning and winning. She proceeded to remove a tax stub for $12,800 from her purse, and explained that she won the jackpot this morning. I was down to $17.00 and Lori had just run out of money when the woman between us removed a hundred dollar bill from her purse and inserted it into Lori's machine!! Lori, both shocked and embarrassed, tried to give the money back to the woman, but she refused to take it back. She simply said, "Pay it forward." We unfortunately didn't win anything, but we walked away with a huge deposit in our "People Really ARE Good" bank.

No comments: